Children's Health

Average height of 11 year old boy

07/18/1999

Question:

My son is 11 years old and is 55 inches tall and weighs 70 pounds. He is one of the shortest kids in his class and feels very self conscious. Does his present height mean he will always be short? How does his height and weight compare with other 11 year olds? His father is 5`11" and I am 5`3".

Answer:

An eleven year old boy who is 55 inches tall and weighs 70 pounds is slightly above the 25th percentile for height and at the 25th percentile for weight.

There is a formula you can use to calculate a potential adult height. For a boy, it is the father`s height plus the mother`s height divided by 2 plus 2.5 inches; for a girl, it is minus 2.5 inches. Hence, based on his father`s height and your height, your son would be 71 inches plus 63 inches or 134 inches, divided by 2, or 67 plus 2.5 inches for a total projected adult height of 69.5 inches or 5 feet 9.5 inches tall. Remember that this number is only an estimate.

Also boys do not begin their growth spurt in puberty until about 14 years of age. Although boys who tend to be short and girls who tend to be tall are very self conscious during this preteen and teenage period about their stature, it is very important for the parents to compliment the child on his or her other strengths to help build the self esteem.

Go to the Children's Health health topic, where you can:

Marcia   Hern, RN, EdD Marcia Hern, RN, EdD