Exercise and Fitness

Wellness and the Workplace

11/22/2000

Question:

How does exercise affect the way a person interacts with others in the workplace? Are there studies you might direct me to for specific information? I know that some corporations have wellness programs. Where might I find information regarding these?

Answer:

Worksite wellness programs prove very beneficial to companies. Decreased health care claims, lowered absenteeism and turnover, increased morale, and higher productivity are the main benefits seen by companies offering wellness programs. Worksites have considerable potential as health promotion settings for many reasons. They: 1) Reach a large percentage of the total adult population. 2) Can be approached as communities with established communication systems. 3) Contain groups of people who are in contact over long periods. 4) Have existing physical, organizational, and administrative resources and incentive systems that can be used to support a wellness program. 5) Often include departments and staff concerned with medical, safety and training, and can support health promotion initiatives. An excellent source for information regarding worksite wellness is the Association for Worksite Health Promotion. Good luck to you.

Go to the Exercise and Fitness health topic, where you can:

Carolyn   Nickol, RD, MEd Carolyn Nickol, RD, MEd
Director
Fitness Center at CARE\Crawley