Infectious Diseases

Possible STD Herpes or just worry?

I had a one night stand with someone I just met. I used a condom, but now I am paranoid about contracting an Herpes or the like. I took a shower as soon as I got home, but the net day I became worried and looked up information on std`s. One day after (actually less than 24 hours) sex the base of the shaft ( near the testicals) iches a bit and feels a bit irriatated. I don;t know if I should worry or if my mind is just messing with me. I didn`t see an outbreak, but as I have read that that does not matter im worried. Also, does skin on skin transmission of Herpes require there to be abrasions for transmissions? Thanks you for your assistence.

To find out for certain whether or not you have genital Herpes Simplex infection, you should go see a physician. He or she may want to do a culture or other test, especially if there is a fresh lesion. If there are no lesions, you could have a blood test drawn that would suggest whether or not you have recently been infected with Herpes Simplex. Skin-on-skin transmission of herpes may occur to any skin site. The patients I have taken care of who complained about herpetic lesions outside of the genital area did not think they had had abrasions at the site of infection. I suspect that if there were an abrasion there, it would increase the chances of infection.

Go to the Infectious Diseases health topic, where you can:

Lisa A Haglund, MD Lisa A Haglund, MD
Associate Professor of Clinical Medicine