Gum Diseases

My gum is swollen

Hello, A small part of my gum on the lower jaw is swollen. Although it does not bleed but it hurts. The tooth does not hurt at all. I had my teeth cleaned six months ago and I brush twice a day. Could you please tell me what the cause could be and am I going to need root canal? Thank you.

You may have what we call "periodontal abscess."  It generally happens when we have food stuck between gum and tooth surfaces, and it stays there for a long time. It needs to be cleaned and drained. Otherwise, it may cause more inflammation and bone loss around your tooth.

You need to visit a dentist. They need to probe around your tooth and figure out the exact cause. Also, they will want to take X-rays to make sure that there is nothing else going on around the root.  Since you are not complaining about toothache and since you noticed it recently, I think that it is most likely a periodontal abscess.

Go to the Gum Diseases health topic, where you can:

Binnaz   Leblebicioglu, DDS, MS, PhD Binnaz Leblebicioglu, DDS, MS, PhD
Associate Professor of Periodontology