Damaged nailbeds

My mother has very damaged nails. She has a few nails that almost look like are eroding away. Her primary care physician says that it is from her nailbeds being damaged. Is there a specialist for the nails? She is so embarrassed of her hands. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

There are several world authorities on nail abnormalities.  One of the most senior individuals in the world is Richard K. Scher, M.D.  His e-mail is:  onychium@aol.com   He has written textbooks and numerous papers on the subject of nail disease and could be of assistance in helping your mother arrive at a proper diagnosis and subsequent treatment.  Your board certified dermatologist may also be able to help you, and I would suggest that that would be the most expedient method of getting your mother under proper medical care.