Eating Disorders

Binging

05/18/2006

Question:

I am skinny, but a huge binger! I eat when I`m not hungry, and I feel it gradually getting worse. I am gaining weight, and I don`t know how to stop myself. I think about food a lot, and when I`m around it, I just can`t control myself. Please help me learn to have control!

Answer:

Your age may be a factor in your concern.  If you are around 10, male or female, you may be at the beginning of puberty. This means that your appetite will increase significantly as your body is facing many physical and hormonal changes.  Weight gain is common and the body begins to grow new fat cells in parts of the body that your genes tell the fat to go, especially in females. 

If you are older in your 40s or 50s you may be entering menopause, which can also contribute to an increase in appetite and weight gain.

If you are pregnant, appetite increases, hormones change and increased fat is stored in the body.

IF you are not eating first thing in the morning, delaying your eating or under -eating in the day, this can trigger major over-eating later in the day or uncontrollable binge eating resulting in weight gain and increased fat to be stored in the body.

It is important to eat first thing in the day and have regular eating patterns in the day. (See link below.)

The Body is as Good as the Fuel it Gets

Go to the Eating Disorders health topic, where you can:

Laura  L Hill, PhD Laura L Hill, PhD
Clinical Assistant Professor of Psychiatry