Mental Health

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder and Children

06/27/2007

Question:

My husband suffers from OCD. I would like to know if my son is showing signs of OCD, because he keeps asking me if he is a good boy. He needs reassurance from me the whole time that he is good. Sometimes every second sentence is - "Am I a good boy?"

Answer:

Anytime there is mental illness in the family, all family members can suffer. I certainly cannot diagnose your son over the internet, but the fact he is constantly needing reassurance as to his worth should alert you to, at a minimum, concerns about depression, anxiety or acting out. Of course, his age would be an important factor, as behaviorally, we expect different actions from a 4-year-old than a 14-year-old.

I encourage you to seek some family counseling as a starting place. With your husband's illness, all family members need a safe place to discuss and understand how this affects the family dynamics. This would offer a counselor or therapist a chance to observe your son, hear your concerns, and decide if further evaluation of your son is necessary.

Good luck.

Go to the Mental Health health topic, where you can:

Nancy   Elder, MD Nancy Elder, MD