Home HealthTopics Health Centers Reference Library Research
Join us on Facebook Join us on Facebook Share on Facebook

Urinary and Genital Disorders (Children)




My 13 yr old son has had pains in his right side for about a month. We have taken him to the doctor and to the hospital two times. Also to a GI specialist. They said that they could not find anything wrong, except on the ultrasound they saw a little mark on his kidney. The report says that his "ritht kidney is 10.3 cm with mild upper-pole caliectasis. This caliectasis persists postvoid" He still has pain. He is missing school and I am at my wits end as to what to do. What should my doctor be telling me to do. Is this serious and will medication for this problem help him?


This question is difficult to answer. If the pain is significant, then it would be worthwhile being evaluated by a pediatric urologist. Generally the ultrasound study is reviewed, and other tests might be necessary to determine the cause of the enlarged upper collecting system of the kidney. If he were not having pain, however, then no further evaluation would be necessary, in all likelihood.

For more information:

Go to the Urinary and Genital Disorders (Children) health topic, where you can:

Response by:

Jack S Elder, MD, FACS, FAAP Jack S Elder, MD, FACS, FAAP
Clinical Professor of Urology
School of Medicine
Case Western Reserve University