Cancer

Rare liposarcomas

03/06/2008

Question:

I am 39 and feel like a healthy male. Today, I was diagnosed with a liposarcoma tumor in the back of my neck. I know that these types of tumors are not real common but in the neck region they are pretty rare. The tumor is as big as a baseball, they do say that it looks like that is contained within the mass. There is not much information on this type of tumors in the neck. My question is what do you know about the prognosis, and with the size of the tumor, what do you think about tissue removal and how or can they replace any. The way that I have it figured is that most of the back of my neck will be gone, because of the size of the tumor. Wanting information. Thanks.

Answer:

We actually treat a good number of head and neck sarcoma and prognosis is related to the extent of disease. In general with appropriate surgical removal and planned reconstruction, form and function can generally be maximized. If you live in the Cincinnati area you should consider an Otolaryngology evaluation at the Barrett Cancer Center with our surgical oncology team.

Go to the Cancer health topic, where you can:

Yash J Patil, MD Yash J Patil, MD
Assistant Professor of Otolaryngology