What are Root Canals Filled With?

04/14/2009

Question:

In February I had a root canal done on a previous tooth that had a cap put on it. The endodontist did the root canal and put in rubber filler. A week later I went to my dentist where he said that it didn’t need a permanent filling. Is this correct?

The other root canal I had done was in another state and they did a permanent filling when I went back in to get the crown on permanently. Now I have a little discomfort every once in a while that normally goes away with pain medication.

I just want to make sure the rubber material that was placed in is okay for a permanent fix.

Answer:

I'm not sure if I understand exactly what was done at your endodontist but the rubber filling usually refers to the root canal filling material inside the roots of your tooth.

After that, a permanent restoration and/or crown is required in the top part (crown) of your tooth. Please see the link below for pictures and a better explanation. 

Root Canal Treatment

Melissa McCartney Drum, DDS, MS Melissa McCartney Drum, DDS, MS
Assistant Professor of Endodontics