Sports Medicine

Heel spurs planter fascitis what is best trea

07/28/2009

Question:

I have read many articles on 3 items to help with heel spur pain and I would like you to explain the 3 items and the difference or tell me where I can look. I would like to compare the 3 to find out which is best or if 2 are or if all 3 are needed or if they all do the same thing. One is Ultra Sound machine, one is an electronic muscle stimulator and one is a TENS machine.

Answer:

It is important first to understand the nature of heel pain. While a spur might be present it usually is not the cause of the pain and discomfort. As such an accurate assessment of the mechanics of the foot and other potential causes of heel pain need to be explored to determine the best course of therapy. The three modalities you are speaking of ultrasound, electrical stimulation and TENS are used for different symptoms:

Go to the Sports Medicine health topic, where you can:

Jeffrey M Robbins, DPM Jeffrey M Robbins, DPM
Clinical Assistant Professor of Surgery