Cancer

Elevated Labs

10/29/2009

Question:

Today I received the results of some of my labs. I already was dx yrs ago w/ stage 4 chirrosis from hep c and non-drug induced autoimmune hep from Lupus. My abdominal mri this yr showed a bunch of stuff. spleenameglia,impacted gall stones, diverted veins, etc. As I had stated my labs showed; elevated protein (I am not and was not dehydrated) and elevated alpha fetoprotein markers (I am aware what alpha fetoprotein is all about). Would this ring any sort of bell to you as to where the location might be.

Answer:

I am afraid that your message is confusing. You must have liver disease. You state that you have cirrhosis from hepatitis C. The concern may be that you make have liver cancer, that is what the alpha fetoprotein means. I am not sure what you are asking. You need to see a liver specialist. You may be a candidate for a liver transplant. At the least, you need to see someone familiar with liver disease. I hope this helps.

Go to the Cancer health topic, where you can:

Steven  M Rudich, MD, PhD, FACS Steven M Rudich, MD, PhD, FACS
Formerly
Professor of Surgery, Director of Liver Transplat and Hepatobiliary Surgery