Eye and Vision Care

IOP Fluctuations

02/09/2010

Question:

I was diagnosed with glaucoma 2 years ago. My original IOP (Intraocular Pressure) was at about 28. It is currently at around 17 using Xalatan, Azopt, Alphagan. My IOP seems to move around from a low of 14 to about 17. I have heard that eye pressure fluctuation is not good. Is a 3 mm fluctuation considered big or small or does this depend on how your visual field loss progresses?

Answer:

Intraocular pressure (IOP) does tend to fluctuate throughout the day in everyone. An average fluctuation can be anywhere between 2 and 6 mmHg. Glaucoma patients tend to have a wider daily fluctuation in intraocular pressure and may even experience fluctuations up to 10 mmHg and greater. This large variation in IOP may lead to further glaucoma-related changes.

Your eye care practitioner should continually monitor and evaluate the status of your optic nerve, intraocular pressures, and visual field results to best manage your glaucoma and prevent further progression.

Go to the Eye and Vision Care health topic, where you can:

Julia Rae Geldis, OD, MS Julia Rae Geldis, OD, MS
Clinical Associate Professor of Optometry
College of Optometry