Multiple Teeth Extractions

02/18/2010

Question:

I’m having treatment soon to have multiple teeth extracted, 3 on the upper and one on the lower. I’ve been advised to have sedation, can I ask what it involves and what after care I should expect? I’m thinking of taking a week’s vacation to be on the safe side. Thanks.

Answer:

Sedation is very standard for tooth extraction. Your dentist should be able to give you all the information you need. There are many aspects to discuss and different types of sedation as well. In almost all cases, you should be able to return to normal activity the following day as the sedative drugs will have worn off.

However, you may need another day or two to recovery fully from the surgery. Most people can go to work the next day or the day after unless the surgery was unusually difficult or the teeth were severely impacted.

I highly suggest you discuss any concerns you have with your dentist as there are too many variables for me to give you a clear expectation. Good luck.