Home HealthTopics Health Centers Reference Library Research
Join us on Facebook Join us on Facebook Share on Facebook

Anxiety and Stress Disorders

Conversion Disorder and Glove Anesthesia



Approximately 15 years ago, in the course of a week`s time, my hands went numb (to the wrist)and I was subsequently diagnosed with a conversion disorder, specifically glove anesthesia. For approximately a year I saw a psychiatrist, trying drug and talk therapy, with no results. I discontinued the psychiatric visits (and pills) as other of life`s demands became greater than finding a solution to this problem.

I have accepted the severe numbness as a "part of who I am" even though there is discomfort and some degree disability in performing everyday tasks like using keys, buttoning shirts and dropping objects.

Recently, with more time available to me, I am considering resuming the original quest.

My questions are: Is it reasonable to expect a resolution after this much time? I`m not sure I could even accurately portray what was going on in my life 15 years ago, or certainly beyond that, should I be asked to do so!

Second, are there psychiatrists who use hypnosis to find the root cause of a problem like this? I hate to spend another year recounting my life story, and would hate equally to bore a doctor thus. And I absolutely refuse to take more drugs. Hypnosis seems like a reasonable shortcut.

Is there a certain kind of psychiatrist I should look for? I would prefer someone who specializes in this kind of thing, but what kinds of credentials should I look for? Or does it even matter?

Thank you for providing this service.


Thank you for visiting NetWellness. On this site, NetWellness experts try to answer general questions about health. Only a health professional performing a thorough clinical exam is able to evaluate your symptoms. However, NetWellness may have some general information available that you can access through our search feature. Feel free to write back if you still have questions or need an explanation.

For more information:

Go to the Anxiety and Stress Disorders health topic, where you can:

Response by:

NetWellness Staff