Home HealthTopics Health Centers Reference Library Research
Join us on Facebook Join us on Facebook Share on Facebook

Gum Diseases

General Dentist - Free Gingival Graft



I am scheduled to have a free gingival graft over one upper right molar next week. My dentist, whose specialization is listed as "general dentistry" suggested and will be performing the procedure because gum recession over this tooth is more severe than over others due to improper brushing. Is there any way to find out if my dentist is qualified to perform this procedure so that the least number of complications ensue?

Do you have any suggestions for optimal recovery and "taking" of the graft?

Thank you.


You can figure out if your dentist is a periodontist by asking your regional dental association. I do not recommend having the surgery from a general dentist.

There are several general dentists taking CE courses and doing this surgery. The difference is between an experience established in 3 years of a residency program versus an exposure to the concept with a couple of hours didactic and at maximum, a hands-on course.    

Related Resources:

Gum Graft Surgery: Indications, Success Rate and Possible Complications

For more information:

Go to the Gum Diseases health topic, where you can:

Response by:

Binnaz   Leblebicioglu, DDS, MS, PhD Binnaz Leblebicioglu, DDS, MS, PhD
Associate Professor of Periodontology
College of Dentistry
The Ohio State University