Eye and Vision Care

Eyelid

09/20/2010

Question:

I have a bump that keeps coming on my eyelid. It might last a month than it goes away. Then after another couple weeks go by, it comes back again. What is it?

Answer:

Bumps that form on the eyelids may occur due to a number of reasons. One common condition that results in bumps on the eyelid is meibomian gland dysfunction.

Meibomian glands are glands located throughout the upper and lower eyelids. These glands produce lipids, or oils, that make the tear film strong and stable. Occasionally the functioning of these glands can decrease, leading to a clogging of the lipids and resulting in the formation of small bumps.

Do not attempt to squeeze or remove these bumps, as this may lead to a bacterial infection.

I recommend scheduling an appointment with your eye care provider for proper evaluation and a recommended treatment plan.

Go to the Eye and Vision Care health topic, where you can:

Julia Rae Geldis, OD, MS Julia Rae Geldis, OD, MS
Clinical Assistant Professor of Optometry
College of Optometry