Home HealthTopics Health Centers Reference Library Research
Join us on Facebook Join us on Facebook Share on Facebook

Addiction and Substance Abuse

Drug Abuse



An aquaintance in my community confided in me and told me that he/she does drugs every day for the past seven years. Is there a clinic that he/she can go to for medical study and long term effects regarding this issue?


I am not sure what community you are living in, nor am I sure what drug/s your acquaintance has been using. My best advice for you is as follows:

1. Have the person talk to their primary care doctor about having a physical exam done and lab tests done to check for any issues or problems related to using drugs.

2. Contact the local county "alcohol and drug addiction services board." This is a government agency that can usually make a referral to local treatment centers.

3. Use the national treatment locator provided by SAMHSA at
http://www.samhsa.gov/treatment/index.aspx or call toll-free 24 hours per day 1-800-662-HELP, (1-800-662-4357) this can help you get the proper referral as well.

Good luck! I hope that your acquaintance finds the help they need.

For more information:

Go to the Addiction and Substance Abuse health topic, where you can:

Response by:

Christina M Delos Reyes, MD Christina M Delos Reyes, MD
Assistant Professor of Psychiatry
School of Medicine
Case Western Reserve University