Home HealthTopics Health Centers Reference Library Research
Join us on Facebook Join us on Facebook Share on Facebook

Urinary Disorders




I was diagnosed with vagina atrophy and secondary cyctitis and doctor prescribed nitrofurantoin for life time. Is that any alternative for this medication, kind of once a month injection of other antibiotic? Thanks


Vaginal atrophy is as the result of lack of enough estrogen and concomitant with aging. Symptoms consists of voiding dysfunction as well as pain during intercourse. Furadantin is given to you for prevention of recurrent UTI. Treatment of atrophic vagina is estrogen replacement if there is no contraindication for its use.

For more information:

Go to the Urinary Disorders health topic, where you can:

Response by:

Ahmad  Hamidinia, MD Ahmad Hamidinia, MD
Formerly, Professor of Clinical Surgery
College of Medicine
University of Cincinnati