Athletic Training

Abs

12/07/2011

Question:

I tried to do sit-ups to lose weight in my abs, but I ended up getting terrible neck pain instead. What other exercises can I do to lose the weight? Thanks.

Answer:

Sit ups do not normally cause neck pain.  I suggest that you consult with your physician before starting an exercise program to make sure that you do not have an underlying medical condition that would be complicated by exercise.

Also, weight loss is best achieved by burning more calories than you consume.  Approximately 3500 calories translates to 1 pound.  Sit ups alone are unlikely to be an effective approach to weight loss.  In fact, it is not possible to lose weight from just one part of your body, and sit ups certainly won't specifically remove weight from around your abs. A balanced exercise program (if you are healthy enough) with multiple sessions of aerobic exercise (walking, jogging, biking, etc.) weekly is likely to work better.

Go to the Athletic Training health topic, where you can:

Mark  A Merrick, PhD, ATC Mark A Merrick, PhD, ATC
School of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences