Instrument Came Out from Side of the Tooth

Yesterday I had root canal on #18 tooth. One canal had been done well, however the other one (front side) couldn`t be accessed. The instrument should go into the canal from the opening of top, instead, it went out from side of the tooth (X-ray shows the situation). The doctor said that #18 has defect, and calcified too, and he doesn`t think he can ever access the canal from top, maybe by surgery it could be done from the bottom. Please note #17 is missing for years and #18 is angled towards front. Can the tooth be saved?

You have very specific questions that would need to be evaluated clinically. If you want to know what can be done to save your tooth, I would recommend an evaluation by an endodontist. They have special training beyond dental school and deal with these difficult situations on a daily basis.

Melissa McCartney Drum, DDS, MS Melissa McCartney Drum, DDS, MS
Assistant Professor of Endodontics